Re: [Roadsters] 5-Speed

To: Gary and Cindy Ault <aultgc@att.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] 5-Speed
From: Fred Katz <roadster@astound.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 14:21:47 -0800
I used the adapter on the trans for my U20/5speed transplant into my '66. I
cut a hole on the side of the tunnel at the floor, fashioned a hump from sheet
metal and riveted it in place. With carpeting in place, you don't know it's
there. I can't remember how I did the rear trans mount, but probably dropped
it to the lower holes.

Fred - SSF, CA

On Jan 16, 2012, at 7:18 PM, "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net> wrote:

> All the 5-speeds I have seen have the cable routed directly into the side of
the trans -- no adapter.  I tried to put an adapter on a friend's '67 1600
with a U20/5-speed conversion, but there was no clearance for the adapter
between the tunnel and the side of the trans.  He does not have the standard
5-speed cross-member trans mount, but rather uses the existing 1600 mount,
which places the trans higher in the tunnel.  I have been told that the rear
trans mount should be dropped to the lower bolt holes only, to get more
clearance, but we have not tried it.  His cable runs under the carpet and
through a hole drilled in the tunnel just opposite the cable entry point into
the trans.  I opened up the hole a bit, and we were able to get a new cable
in.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums