Re: [Roadsters] OT GPS preprogramming?

To: healeys@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] OT GPS preprogramming?
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 16:02:21 -0600
Opps, I completely forgot about nav apps on phones..., and we've used
Google Maps on our iPads a couple of times when we didn't have the laptop.
THowever, there are two problems that we've seen with using both the phones
and iPads. First is the screen size I mentioned, at least using phones, and
I have a Droid X2. With my 65 year old eyes, t's just easier to look at a
larger screen.The second problem, at least for us in rural areas of Texas,
is signal coverage/availability. To often it's simply not there. With S&T
(or any GPS based unit) you're not at the mercy of the cell network.

However I will note that during a 3800 trip last summer from central Texas,
through Phoenix to the San Diego area, then up to Barstow and back east on
I-40 to Amarillo and south through DFW home, the only places we didn't have
pretty solid cell coverage (on Verizon) was in the mountains just east of
San Diego and in some aras of Grand Canyon National Park.

FWIW,
Ron