Re: [Roadsters] Question : NPG as coolant

To: Stephen Holst <stephen.holst@randrglobal.com>, "'datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net'" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Question : NPG as coolant
From: Roy Haslett <hrhaslett@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 12:25:00 -0800 (PST)
 From: Stephen Holst
<stephen.holst@randrglobal.com>
To: 'datsun-roadsters: autox.team.net'
<datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:42 AM
Subject: [Roadsters] Question : NPG as coolant

HI:
There has been discussion
in other older car forums about the use of NPG
(Evans waterless coolant for
example) but I haven't been able to find
similar discussions that directly
relate to Datsun  Roadsters and
specifically about the 2000. Where the
differential expansion of the
aluminum head and cast iron block might be at
issue.  My calculations
indicate in the worst case (due to reduced heat
capacity of propylene
glycol) that a marginally cooled (two row radiator)
might run at an
increased temperature approaching 190-200 degrees.  The
temperature is well
below the breakdown temperature for normal oil (air cooled
Porsche's run at
280 degrees) and synthetic oils are stable to temperatures of
at least 270
degrees).
So the question is has any one used NPG in our cars.
This Question is especially tailored to the racing community where high
engine
stress and concerns over local micro cavitations(heat generated)
might have
pushed a trial.
Then maybe you are all using it and I have come late to the
party.  I have
asked the question in my local group and they don't have any
info.
Thanks for the review of this and any answers/speculations you can
offer.
Regards
Steve
SRL-311 04711