Re: [Roadsters] side pipe

To: "dave n" <sumton@sbcglobal.net>, "Autox-Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] side pipe
From: "Gary and Cindy Ault" <aultgc@att.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2013 19:26:01 -0500
Dave,

Done or not done what?  The 2000  engine swap, or a side pipe?

I put a '69 2000 motor into my '66 1600 (bought in 1971) in 1972.  Never
regretted it.  Did not do a 5-speed because I wanted to maintain the trans
tunnel and console stock, andother reasons.  We lived in Irvine, California
at the time, and I bought the U20 out of a wreck in Escondido which had
20,000 miles on it.

I have a friend who has an early '67 with a U20 and 5-speed.  The PO who did
the transplant did not drop the trans support, instead he drilled a hole in
the side of the tunnel to get the speedo cable to the trans.  Also, I can
still see the brand-new U20 and 5-speed on its pallet in the Downey Datsun
dealer's shop in 1972 -- newly delivered from Japan for someone who wanted
to muscle-up his 1600.

The U20 absolutely transforms the car.  The first time I lit it off, and
drove it around the block without even putting the hood back on, I said to
myself "YESSS!".

Gary