fot

TR RACING

To: mikee@home.bellatlantic.net
Subject: TR RACING
From: Jeff Snook <jsnook_gmi@wcnet.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 18:09:12 -0800
Hello Mike,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Triumph TR Racing.  We've got a great
group of TR3 and TR4 racers here in the Midwest and East Coast.  I would
guess that there are at least 20 to 30 TR racers that we see in a years
time.  Some we only see once a year, some do lots more. (I'm lucky, my
wife let's me do about one a month!)  We have losely assembled all
Triumph racers under the FOT (Friends of Triumph) mail list thanks to
Joe Alexander and Mark Bradakis.  Sign up to <fot@autox.team.net>.

According to Mark's comments when he forwarded your message you have a
neat (and valuable) car.  I can't wait to see it.  I am no expert by any
means on the mechanical parts of a TR, but I am learning enough to
communicate with the guy who prepares (and repairs) my TR3 in Stuart,
Florida.  Let me try to answer some of your questions as best I can, but
you will get info from lots of people that you have to consider in
making your preparation decisions.

First let me address the "where do I race" question".  I belong to three
different race organizations. In order of preference:

1.  SVRA - Sportscar Vintage Racing Assoc.  They are headquartered in
Charleston, NC and do about a dozen events a year, at tracks from
Florida to New York and Virginia to Wisconsin.  They even picked up a
vintage race this year in Phoenix.  They have events at all the major
race tracks and want your car to be prepared to period specifications
(other than safety items).  We race in Group 3 with Porche 356's,
Morgans, MGA's & B's, Elva Couriers, a Daimler SP250, and other
production cars of our size and HP from the 50's and 60's.  Cars that
all raced together back in the "old days".

2.  VSCDA - Vintage Sports Car Drivers Assoc. - This group is more of a
volunteer organization with only one paid person, but nevertheless put
on some great events.  The office is in Grand Rapids, MI, but mostly
they are centered around folks from the Chicago/Milwaukee/Midwest area.
They have events at tracks in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and
Michigan.  I think they have about 5 or 6 events a year.  We race in
Group 2 with VSCDA and it's pretty much the same cars as SVRA, but add
in Jaguar XKs and XKEs and small bore MGs and A.H sprites.  They are a
great group of people, and as a matter if fact, I am flying to Chicago
tomorrow for their annual dinner/meeting/party!

3.  HSR - Historic Sportscar Racing. - This is a group that puts on
events at most of the major tracks (including Daytona which our cars
can't run).  They are not too concerned with how vintage your car is
prepared and if it passes their safety inspection you can even run
current cars in a "Sports Challenge" class.  They have some big fields
and therefore the groups (I think we are Group 2) tend to get some
unusual cars.  You will see the same cars as gridded in our group for
VSCDA but you will also have Sports Racers and all sorts of other cars
of "like performance" on the track with us.

Here is a list of tracks that I have run the past couple of years or
plan to run this year:

MidOhio, Lexington, KY
Road America, Elkhart Lake, WI
Road Atlanta, Braselton, GA
Moroso, West Palm Beach, FL
Sebring, Sebring, FL
Roebling Road, Savannah, GA
Summit Point, Charlestown, WV
Grattan, Grand Rapids, MI
Blackhawk Farms, Rockford, IL
Watkins Glen, Watkins Glen, NY
Waterford Hills, Clarkston, MI
Homestead, Homestead, FL
Gingerman Raceway, South Haven, MI

Other tracks available would be:

Pocono, Longbranch (?), PA
Indianapolis Raceway Park, Indianapolis, IN
Lime Rock, ?, CN

You mentioned the Philly Grand Prix.  That race and the Pittsburg G.P.
are sanctioned by another organization called VSCCA - Vintage Sports Car
Club of America (I think).  I don't know much about them because they do
not allow cars newer than 1959 to race nor do they allow any TRs and
even limit the number of MGAs.

Go to your local magazine shop and pick up "Victory Lane" or look them
up on the internet.  They have the schedules and lots of other
information.  I understand that SVRA has a web site and you can also
find lots of info on the Vintage Racers Page.

Mike, I've run out of steam for now.  I'll jump on later and give you
some of my feedback on preping your car.

Good luck.

Jeff Snook
Battle of Britain Racing
315 West Wooster St.