fot

Re: [Fwd: Re: sway bars tr3 - a contrarian view]

To: Grand_Wazoo@MAIL.FLINET.COM, Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: sway bars tr3 - a contrarian view]
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 97 07:06:42 EST
On Mar 3,  7:43pm, Grand_Wazoo wrote:
> I have a locked rear end and experimented one day with a very mild rear
> bar.  I can attest to having had a short conversation with my maker (any
> religion will do) about how I promised to unhook it just as soon as I
> completed the hot lap I was attempting.  The oversteer was very
> impressive.

I agree, with one slight reservation, that I'll come to later.
My TR-3 has a Salisbury limited slip, while my TR-4 has a
Detroit locker.  I had installed a rear bar on the 3, and
after a close encounter with a street sign, I decided to
remove it.  The 4 had Addco front and rear bars on it when
I bought it, and had the most horrendous oversteer that
you can imagine.  It now has both front and rear bars, but
they are of a custom design, and the front bar is *really*
massive to offset the rear bar.  However, this is for auto-X
use where transient response is more important than steady
state cornering.

cheers,

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU