fot

Rear suspension

To: friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear suspension
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 1997 18:30:10 -0600
I was on a mid-winter vacation in sunny Arizona during the exchange of
info re: rear sway bars and shackles.

I hope it stays alive long enough for me to learn something.

I have been trying to figure out what to do to improve two aspects of my
vintage TR4 racer's handling -- decrease the understeer and keep the
inside rear wheel on the ground.

I am surprised that connecting / disconnecting the rear sway bar has
such little effect on over/understeer, and inside rear wheel lifting. I
am running one extra leaf in the rear springs and am beginning to
suspect that this makes the rear spring too stiff -- but then, that
would add to oversteer, wouldn't it? I and am interested in opinions on
that setup.

I bring this up in the context of shackle length because the books say
that rear roll center height is related to the difference in distance
above the ground of the axle center and the point at which the rear
springs connect to the shackles - which would indicate that different
length shackles change this.....how about opinions on that too?