fot

Re: sway bars tr3 - a non-contrarian view

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sway bars tr3 - a non-contrarian view
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 20:16:00 -0500 (EST)

>I have a locked rear end and experimented one day with a very mild rear
>bar.  I can attest to having had a short conversation with my maker (any
>religion will do) about how I promised to unhook it just as soon as I
>completed the hot lap I was attempting.  The oversteer was very
>impressive.

Hmmmm-
The experiences digress...
I ran a Detroit Locker, Watts link (which dealt with changing roll centers)
and a fairly hefty rear bar. The rear spring had two additional main leaves
in it and I had it "flattened out" more than stock, but it still needed
lowering blocks. To offset set the oversteer created, I ran an even bigger
front bar. I could measure the sizes,(really can't recall the rear sizes) but
I think the front ended up being 7/8"or 15/16" with about 5" levers and
hardened to a Rockwell scale of 62. For about 99% of the tracks, this setup
was not only fairly stable, but relatively neutral. Had I continued with that
car I would have actually INCREASED the sizes of both of the bars as in some
instances a fast transient would induce too much rear roll and result in
minor oversteer.This situation was actually due to the Watts link not
providing the best roll center height, but the heavier rear bar would have
reduced this tendency.

More than one way to trim a Triumph...
          Nick in Nor Cal