fot

Re: Rear suspension

To: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@FORBIN.COM>
Subject: Re: Rear suspension
From: Grand_Wazoo <Grand_Wazoo@mail.flinet.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 18:09:07 -0800
Jack W Drews wrote:

> I have been trying to figure out what to do to improve two aspects of my
> vintage TR4 racer's handling -- decrease the understeer and keep the
> inside rear wheel on the ground.
>
> I am surprised that connecting / disconnecting the rear sway bar has
> such little effect on over/understeer, and inside rear wheel lifting.

I found that rear sway bar had a huge impact on oversteer.  It was
massive.  Mine is now disconnected.  If I had a really small rear bar I
think it would help as I have some understeer.  The one I took off is
the  smallest diameter that Addco bends.  I tried all sorts of combos of
rubber bushings to try and get it light enough.

> I am running one extra leaf in the rear springs and am beginning to
> suspect that this makes the rear spring too stiff -- but then, that
> would add to oversteer, wouldn't it? I and am interested in opinions on
> that setup.

I've seen two TR3s with very stiff rear springs, both oversteered
greatly and were eventually softened considerably.

Careful setting of front camber helps eliminate some of the understeer.
Stock sorts of camber were designed for crowned British roads, not race
tracks.  Some shuffling of tire pressures can also help, lower the rear
a little to help get it sliding.

Hope your vacation was enjoyable.

mike