fot

Fork & Pin Disease

To: "'Friends of Triumph'" <fot@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Fork & Pin Disease
From: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 09:30:27 -0500
Listers:

I noticed the recent thread regarding the broken taper pin in the clutch
fork & shaft on TR3/4/6s.

It is a tight operation as I remember but:

*       Grind a spot on the opposite side of the fork to provide a place for a
drill point to land.
*       Drill a small hole
*       Drift the broken pin out....it is easy going in that direction.
*       Replace with new tapered pin and try to avoid overtorquing.

I dont ever remember having to replace this pin a second time. As a
second choice, I might consider cross drilling and locating hardware
with a tight fit, but welding seems primitive.

I passed the above information to an Ann Arbor TR4 owner in the past
couple of weeks and he came back in a couple days reporting a good
experience.

TR3a '58 TS30854L  Touring   (Pacific Northwest in June/July-6K Miles
:-)
TR4   '62 CT15008L  Vintage Race (VSCDA/SVRA)

Regards...Joe Alexander