fot

Wannago Racing

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Wannago Racing
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 97 08:03:43 EDT
Hello all,
     This is just a quick update on our weekend at the
Summit Point National.  We had to chase a few problems
(carb floats, ignition and rear axle seals) around for
a while, so Chip really didn't get much time for practice,
and had to stand on his first qualifying times, so he
started a bit further back in the pack than we would have
liked.  Anyway, we were cautiously optomistic by race time
that we'd gotten a handle on all the problems, but were
prepared to swap ignitions in the hot pit if necessary.
During the race, the 912 and the 914 were separated
by about a 10 second interval (by C. O'brien's count),
but Chip maintained his interval back from the 914.  Until
he spun in some fresh oil, that is.  That set him back about
35 seconds or so, but he recovered and managed to finish
in third place.  A podium finish for his first National;
not too shabby, I'd say!

Unfortunately the Porsches won this time; sorry Hardy P.!

cheers,

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm