fot

Re: FOT Bulletin-Rear Inner Axle Seals

To: Chip Bond <spirals@ESINET.NET>
Subject: Re: FOT Bulletin-Rear Inner Axle Seals
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 18:38:40 +0000
Chip Bond wrote:

> Jack,
>
> Is this baffle located just outboard of the diff carrier bearings? Would you
>care to elaborate??
>
> Regards all,
> Chip

Yes, I put a baffle outboard of the diff carier bearings. I found a big
washer at the hardware store that was just the right size to go in the
I.D. of the central housing where the steel tubes are pressed in. The
I.D. of the washer is large enough for the axle shaft to pass through.
With the diff carrier out, of course, I just tack welded the washer in
place, welding to the steel tube, of course and not the cast iron
housing. You must be exceedingly careful to not let any weld protrude,
and if it does, you must grind it off or the bearing adjustment is
difficult or imposible to make.

One additional note -- I drilled two small holes in the washer on the
"down" side, for otherwise, if diff lube does get into the axle
housings, it can't get out.

My theory on all this is that if I can keep the diff lube where it
belongs while cornering, there will be less stuff to leak past the
seal.  Also by the way, I think most oily brakes are from the big outer
seal failing anyway, from the heat of the brakes.

I'm very happy with my results.

uncle jack in sunny Iowa