fot

Walter Mitty Report

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Walter Mitty Report
From: Jeff Snook <jsnook@wcnet.org>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 19:55:16 -0700
Dear FOT

Here's a quick report on the Mitty:

RAIN, RAIN, MORE RAIN AND COLD.

Here's a slightly longer report:

A record entry of 404 cars according to Niel Harmon in timing and
scoring!  The paddock was a zoo!  Offically, the paddock did not open
until Thursday morning, but by the time they opened the gate Thursday,
all the prime real estate was taken by the big rigs and most TRs could
be found down in the "hollow" and even further in the woods where I
didn't even know they had paddock space!  Oh well, so goes it for your
typical HSR event.

Friday was clear and cool for practice sessions.  The TR field in group
3 was made up of George Wright in his bright yellow TR4, Phil Bradbury
in his BRG TR3, Alan Pinel with his fast red TR4, Rich Taylor driving
his "street" TR4 (one session with the convertible top up!) and Alan
Taylor driving Barry Rosenberg's black TR4.  Additionally, FOTer Mike
Jackson was there driving his Formula "V", and I was in the rental Lotus
51 FF.

Saturday was rainy and cold for the morning session, but cleared up for
the PM and group 3 had a good qualifying race.  Alan Pinel, was as
usual, the fastest TR, but had a slight altercation with a Porsche 356
in turn 2, which resulted in a some agricultural driving, so he
qualified behind some MGs and his team mate Alan Taylor.

Sunday race results are unknown at this time because I went home early
due to the inclement weather.  The paddock was clearing out fast Sunday
morning as the forecast was for more rain and a high of 50 degrees.
After "tip toeing" around the track in the rain for both my sessions on
Saturday, I had enough wet driving for the weekend!  No one had warned
me that it's different in the rain when you're driving an open wheel
car!

SPECIAL NOTICE------

Please, please, magnaflux your rear axles!!!!

George Wright came off the track Friday complaining of a loss of power,
thought he had oiled the clutch.  Guess what he found?  Right....... one
of his rear axles broke!  Fortunately for him it was inside of the
bearing carrier and his wheel did not come off like mine did at
Sebring!  It broke at the thickest part of the axle, about 3" from the
key way.

In addition, Barry checked Alan Pinel's axles while preping his car
before the race and found one that they replaced because it had lots of
cracks.  This 40 year old steel is starting to feel its age!!!!!!

That's all for now, hope to see lots of my Midwest friends next month at
Gingerman.

Jeff Snook
Battle of Britain Racing