fot

Re: TR-3 Stuff

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-3 Stuff
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 16:32:26 -0400 (EDT)
FOTer's-

Gad, there's gotta be a better salutation than that...

I run two thinner seals on the back axle in place of the one stock one. My
theory is that, not only are two better than one, the new seals do not
contact the axle in the same spot as the old seal (in case there's any wear
at that point). Unfortunately, when I dug up my records book with all my part
numbers, the part no seems to consist of Chicago Rawhide # big fat greasy
thumb print ! But I do know that they exist as a a CR part and that they are
the same size id and od, but about 1/2 the thickness of the original. (There
are also two seals which will work on the trans input shaft as well ).

Also did a similar oil dam on the axle tubes, but made a "sandwich" affair of
it with a piece of teflon around the axle itself. This way you can run it
much tighter, and if it touches...so what.

Finally, I recall the the early rocker stands were of iron instead of
aluminum and ran a slightly greater clearance on the exhaust (.013" as I
recall). I have replaced early ones(as a set only)  with the later type as I
could see no difference, and never had a problem.

Am I really that olde...
        Nick in Nor cal