fot

Re: FOT Bulletin-Rear Inner Axle Seals

To: spirals@ESINET.NET
Subject: Re: FOT Bulletin-Rear Inner Axle Seals
From: Catpusher@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 02:33:32 -0400 (EDT)

<<
 One question....the spline OD on the shaft is larger than turned portion of
 the shaft (where the teflon seal locates) Did you allow clearance on the
 seal OD to slide over the spline, or try to run a closer clearance against
 the relieved portion of the shaft? If the latter, is it possible to force
 the axle shaft spline through the teflon seal when reassembling?

 Regards all,
 Chip

 Some half shafts have the splines cut so this is not an issue.(i.e. the
splines are the same O.D. as the thin part of the shaft. When using the
raised spline shafts, allow clearance for the splines and flexing.  BAP and
other sources actually supplied half shafts for solid axle TR's.

ATTN. FOT: let us share info on the specifics of shafts that fail (if not
the known sources, at least the kind of splines and other visual IDs.

 On the half shaft side where the taper to the medium dia. decides the
baffle I.D. you can cut the I.D. at an angle to match the shaft.
                HP