fot

Re: TR3A Oil Cooler

To: Bob Kramer <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: Re: TR3A Oil Cooler
From: Jeff Snook <jsnook_gmi@wcnet.org>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 09:26:59 -0700
Bob Kramer wrote:

> I've been waiting for 2+ months for an oil cooler kit for my TR3A from TRF
> and there is no word yet on when it'll be in.  I trashed the last one when
> the motor blew up.  I couldn't get it to run clean. Looks great in a box!
> Is anyone aware of a better setup than the Mocal units TRF, Moss et al
> sell, like one that doesn't have a matrix that clogs with engine debris?
> What other choices are there. I'm nervous about putting an oil cooler on
> the front of the radiator.  With no fan, it already overheats very quickly
> at idle. What other brands are being used out there?
> TIA
>
> Bob Kramer, Austin TX
> Hill Country Triumph Club
> TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
> rgk@flash.net

Hi Bob,

My last two oil coolers came from Pegasus Auto Racing, 414/782-0880.
Their catalog lists a number of different sizes and I don't remember
which one I got last.  You are right to change it if you even think you
might have gotten some debris in it.  It's cheap insurance.  My cooler
is standing vertical in front of the radiator and off to the side as
much as possible.  I don't feel it blocks the flow to the radiator much
at all.  I never have an overheating problem, and I also, do not run
with a fan.  Good luck.

Jeff Snook
Battle of Britain Racing
TR3A (hospitalized)