fot

Re: TR axle breaks under autox conditions?

To: DLMAssoc@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR axle breaks under autox conditions?
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 97 13:57:42 EDT
On Jun 12, 11:46am, DLMAssoc@aol.com wrote:
> I've been watching the TR3-4 axle breakage thread and wondered whether the
> same problems have been occuring under autocross conditions or just in road
> racing.

Not that I'm aware of - yet.  I think its mostly a function of how much
fewer "race miles" an autocross-only car gets compared to a road race
car.  I figure that I put on in a full season about what Chip puts on
in a race weekend...

> My TR4 only has what I'd consider to be a borderline roll bar
> installed.  I didn't figure I was in much danger of a rollover or
> collision, but if there's a history of violent wheel separation, I
> need to invest in a more serious bar or cage.

Someday I should show you the videotape of my car when the rear wheel
studs sheared off during an autocross.  Makes me glad to have a good
roll bar.

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm