fot

RE: TR axle breaks under autox conditions?

To: "'DLMAssoc@aol.com'" <DLMAssoc@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: TR axle breaks under autox conditions?
From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:03:39 -0400
Hi Don,

I may be wrong but I think the loading the axle sees in autocrossing is
similiar, if not the same , as a road race car. Ken Gillanders claims that
axle breakage on the the West Coast is rare yet we've seen a number of
incidents on the East. Maybe it is the bending load in combination with the
shock load of the generally worse circuits (potholes, surface changes,
etc.) in the East. Who knows.

One thing for certain, these axles, in many cases, have probably seen most
on their service life and have fatigued. I think a lot of what we now
seeing is breakage in axles that have been raced for a long time. And the
engines are getting stronger.... And the tires are getting more grip....

Please do put in a beefed up cage, for safetys sake...If you'd like to go
on the "Axle Interested" list, I'd be happy to add you.....We have 10
people on it now.
Regards,
Chip