fot

Cooling and things

To: "'fot@autox.team.net'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cooling and things
From: Chip Bond <spirals@esinet.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 10:16:51 -0400
Last winter Georger Wright (are you out there George?) had a couple all
aluminum radiators made up somewhere in richmond. They are identical to the
stock units sans the filler neck. Beautiful work really. They were a little
pricey, around $300 or so but seemed to made a big difference in running
temps. I can't say how much because I also put an airdam on the car at the
same time, but between the two changes the car runs about 40 degrees
cooler. At the beginning of the season, I had to put in a functional
thermostat to keep the temps up. Without it I was running about 130
degrees.

Bad news from Strange Engineering. They have declined to quote on the
axles. I'm beginning to contact firms from Thomas Register who list under
"splines" . I'm hopeful.....

Brake pads: I switched from DS-11 to Power-pads (yellow) in 95. They last
about 2-1/2 weekends and really seemed to help eliminate fade. I guess
they're softer the the Ferodos as there is a lot more brake dust after a
session.

Repairs proceeding on the car, I have sandblasted and painted the tub. The
engine, oillines, brakes are back in and have the new dash going together.
I've nearly finished the new steering wheel set-up with rod end supports at
the firewall and front hoop. Won't make Lime Rock but should be ready for
the Glen on July 12.

Way to go Hardy! Having missed the last two events I've slipped from 3rd to
6th in the N. East. But I'll do all I can to get the to the last three NE
events. If I can manage an invitation, maybe I could hold up the Miata a
bit as you guys lap me ;>]

Chip