fot

Re: Axle quotes

To: spirals@ESINET.NET
Subject: Re: Axle quotes
From: Chasgee@aol.com
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 20:25:37 -0400 (EDT)

<< Does anyone have commetns
 about "through hardening" and the E-4325 alloy? >>

The 4325 (or 4330, 4340, etc.) would be a better material choice because you
can through harden the shaft in the diameters you are using (although I'm not
sure exactly what size that is, but I presume it is around 1").  The 4140
does not have the hardenability (essentially, the ability to be fully
hardened in thick sections) of the 43xx steels.  The 43xx steels are usually
of higher quality than their 41xx counterparts because of the melting
practice used to produce them.  I belive that an axle through hardened to a
reasonable strength level will outperform an induction hardened axle with a
soft core.  Its also cheaper and easier to make a through hardened axle, and
easier to modify if the design needs to change after testing.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Chuck
Spitfire 1500 racer, Metallurgical Engineer