fot

Building a new engine

To: Friend of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Building a new engine
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:13:54 -0700
I've just picked up a spare TR4 block to build a better engine--as you
may recall, my current one is a bit of a dog. All I've settled on so far
is a big bore kit with Mahle pistons and Deeves rings. I _think_ it's an
87 mm kit--whatever's the largest you can do without modifying the
block.

I'd like your sage advice for everything. Like what cam, what
compression ratio, any tips on porting, bigger valves, what should I do
with the crankshaft, etc.

I'm completely open on the subject. I do intend to use the webers
(45DCOE) I have on the current engine--is that wise? I've also got a
nice stainless steel header--looks good to me, and mallory dual point
ignition--should I add electronics?

I want to build as nasty a motor as I can, I'm tired of getting
out-dragged in the straights by midgets.

One last thing--what's the story on rear hubs. I've had mine magnafluxed
and they looked okay, but several days ago I saw the end result of a
failure on a TR2 with a stock motor! Yikes. I welded my wheel studs
in--am I asking for it? I used gas and let them cool in a sandbox.  And
what's the story about rear axles? I've got a Detroit locker in the rear
end--shouldn't be as nasty as welding the diff, but it gives a hearty
bump.

Bill Babcock