fot

RE: Building a new engine

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>, cak@dimebank.com
Subject: RE: Building a new engine
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 97 07:23:31 EDT
On Jul 31,  9:36pm, Bill Babcock wrote:
> I'm thinking about a little over 6000 for the redline. I'm not ready to
> step up for a moldex crank, so I figure I'd better keep the revs
> reasonable.

Makes sense, though you cna porbably run up to about 6300 or 6400
with a well balanced, shot-peened magnafluxed stock crank.

> How about the roller rockers--are they worthwhile?

I like them (I'm using the ones from Richard Good), but make sure
that you get a hardened rocker shaft at the same time.  The shafts
that are currently available from the normal vendors are really
soft and wear like crazy with the roller rockers.  They may not
be legal for vintage, though.

> we intend to do the lip seal, and the BFE pulley conversion, no
> alternator. Good valve springs, shimmed just right. I expected all that.
> Are the standard rods okay if you clean them up & shotpeen, or do we
> need something zootier.

If you do stick with the stock rods - don't do what I did and put
ARP rod bolts or something like that in there.  Stick with the
stock rod bolts in stock rods.  The ARP bolts are so strong that
its very hard to get them to stretch appropriately to hold torque.

I'm running a cam from Ken Gillanders this year and love it.

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm