fot

Re: Building a new engine

To: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Subject: Re: Building a new engine
From: mike jackson <grand_wazoo@flinet.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 10:16:02 -0700
> I'm thinking about a little over 6000 for the redline. I'm not ready to
> step up for a moldex crank, so I figure I'd better keep the revs
> reasonable.

6000 with a stock crank is doable.  Get a good one that's straight and
have the best work obtainable for turning and polishing the journals.
Inspect rod bearings and center main after the first event to confirm
all is well and then about every 6 hrs or so.

> How about the roller rockers--are they worthwhile?

See previous note, illegal in some organizations.  frankly, we havent
had a problem with stock stuff on a new shaft every couple years.

> we intend to do the lip seal, and the BFE pulley conversion, no
> alternator. Good valve springs, shimmed just right. I expected all that.
> Are the standard rods okay if you clean them up & shotpeen, or do we
> need something zootier. It would seem with light pistons and 6K redline
> I wouldn't need to, but I'm not sure

Stock rods can take the 6K but we had a ton of trouble with machine
shops butchering them.  Either select your machine shop very carefully
and double check their work or find the big bucks for a set of Carillos.