fot

Re: High speed pwr loss

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: High speed pwr loss
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 14:19:54 -0400 (EDT)

>Chip Bond and others having high speed power loss problems --
>
>Last year I chased this very problem for three races.
>
>I had one of those ice cube sized Facet pumps and a pressure regulator
>on it, regulated to three pounds. The engine cut out part way down the
>straights something awful.
<snip>

>This year we again have the same symptoms. Car loses power on the
>straights at Road America and when this happens, EGT goes up, indicating
>leaning out.
<snip-snip>

Fellow Gas Guzzlers-

Wow, one weekend, two stories...I just can't stop myself...

I used to run one of those massive Holley pumps in the back of the car and a
holley pressure regulator up front . Figured I'd never have a problem if that
pump could feed some mondo monster motor fuel burner. One very hot weekend at
Watkins (old configuration track - no, make that very old configuration,
before the Armco...), I too had a hi speed power loss and decided it was also
fuel related. At that time I had a spare fuel pump in the truck (a blue top
as I recall) and mounted it up front in series with the rear pump. I would
like to say that the fix took care of all my problems, and I won the race.
Yeah, I'd like to say that ! However, the second pump did cure the high speed
problem, and I never got around to doing anything else with the setup as it
seemed to be just fine and I didn't want to upset Murphy.
So, you may want to experiment with something similar if all else fails (or
it occurs on a race weekend).

The Car Curmudgeon
    Nick in Nor Cal