fot

NHIS

To: fot@autox.team.net, fp510@erols.com, phillipp@cfw.com
Subject: NHIS
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 97 08:38:10 EDT
Hi all,
    Chip and I are now back from New Hampshire.  The trip
up was relatively uneventful, although Chip probably gained
a few gray hairs during the time that I drove the motorhome
for him.  I don't think he got as much rest during that time
as he'd hoped to get!
    Anyway, the car worked quite well this weekend; in fact,
we really didn't spend much time at all wrenching on the car.
The worst problem was probably all the rubber that the tires
were picking up; tire wear wasn't a problem at all, Chip came
in after every session with more rubber than when he went out!
During practice and qualifying, the Lotus 7 was running away
and hiding from everyone else, and the Miata wasn't far behind.
Chip was gridded right behind an F/Prod Fiat X-19 for the race
and they had a really good dice going all race long.  I'll let
Chip fill in some of the details later if he has time, but I
can tell you that he ran a good, very consistent race with
lap times a couple seconds faster than he'd been running in
qualifying.  The Lotus 7 ran away again at first, but after
11 laps, he slowed down by about 14 seconds per lap and then
parked it after 13 laps of the 30 lap race.  So, Chip came home
with a second place trophy one lap down from the E/Prod winning
Miata - and had four laps on the next E-car.

cheers,

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm