fot

RE: Leaky pushrod tubes

To: Friend of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Leaky pushrod tubes
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 14:23:59 -0700
Horses for courses. Use a hammer anywhere on a Ducati, you break
something very expensive. Use a hammer on a Triumph (or a Vincent) you
get the job done. I've used tapered socket approach to get my pushrod
tubes to stop leaking--I borrowed the notion from the old /5 series of
BMW boxer twin motorcycles. Another choice is a very thin coat of the
new "greatest thing since sliced bread" gasket replacement goop called
"the right stuff" or maybe it's the good stuff. Anyway, it's from
Permatex, comes in a long pressurized tube, and it works like magic.
They say to use it in place of gaskets, and it really does work well for
that. Anywhere where you need a gasket's clearance you can use it as a
sealant to improve the seal. Remarkable stuff--doesn't make a mess,
doesn't squeeze out of the joint like silicon, doesn't glue your parts
together. I used it on my oil pan with no gasket. my pan has been
overtightened (which dishes the steel around the holes) and beaten back
flat so many times the steel is probably work hardened. Last time it
pulled it I flattened everything out really nice, laid in a bead of this
goop, and gently tightened it down. The bolts have stayed snug, and--no
leaks.
Bill.