fot

Re: FW: VSCDA - IRP

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@merging.com>
Subject: Re: FW: VSCDA - IRP
From: Bill Dalton <billd13@essex1.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 21:36:53 -0500
Wm. Severin Thompson wrote:

> Bill,
>
> Sicilian huh? That means the piano wire you carry in your pocket is not
> just for wiring up loose exhaust on black flagged cars....
>
> Did anyone else notice that Jon was a lot nicer to almost everybody after
> his unfortunate incident with Mason? Looked as though he was looking for
> allies...
>
> WST

Hey Bill,

I prefer the method I used Saturday with Mr Gibson and the other clown
in the Dale Earnhardt car. They mouthed off to me and I showed them the
way to the paddock and then strongly reported their actions to the Chief
and Operating Stewards. They both assured me that they were 100% behind
me and that the next step would be that they would send very quickly and
happily send either one packing onto Crawfordsville Road if they so much
as uttered one more word to me. It does help when you know and have
worked with all of the Stewards in CenDiv regularly.

Gibson's car was covered in oil-there was literally oil running down the
surface of his rear tires adn all over the gearbox, wing, etc. He
insisted that it was only a seal problem and been leaking for the last 2
days and was no big deal. I told him that he had almost hit the wall in
15 on each of the last 4 laps and that he could not go back out. with
that he took the steering wheel off and threw it on the ground. At that
point I told him that, as we had told a certain ITE driver 2 weeks
before at Blackhawk, That if he could guarantee that he would not do any
damage to, or cause anyone else to crash, I would allow him to go back
out, but only after I had gotten my video camera to be able to sell
footage for the next Crash and Burn video.  If he could not guarantee
that, his other choice was to go to the paddock. I assured him that
there would be a whole bunch of eyeballs on him the next time he came
out and the minutest amount of smoke would result in an immediate Black
Flag.

The other clown wanted to hang back for a half lap so that he could go
bombing around the track and warm up his tires. This being going out for
a 35 minute qualifying session!!?? He was cursing at me for stopping him
and that he was doing this so that he could warm up his tires. I
explained to him that we stopped him because he did not take the pace
lap with the rest of the cars and was considered a late starter and he
would have to wait until the pack went by and join at the back of the
pack. He again cursed at me and told me that put right back where he
would have been and did not want to be. DUH?? I figured that he would
hang back, when I told him to go after the pack went by, to do his
thing. Therefore, while the pace car was in 12 I went up to him again
and very nicely explained the facts of life as to what would happen if
he tried to cross me. I calmly said to him that when I waved him on to
the track, I wanted to see an exhibition of all 700hp with 2 black
strips leading out of the pit lane and he was to be no more than 50 feet
behind the last car when they went into 1 or he would be Black Flagged
for not following the instructions and we would proceed to have at least
a 15 minute discussion to make sure that he thoroughly understood
exactly what was expected of him. I don't think he was more than 20 feet
behind the last car when he entered 1.

However, the Leatherman tool on my belt does offer some interesting
possibilities with a lot less talk! eh?

Bill