fot

Re: Odd TR4 engine, head combination...

To: DLMAssoc@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Odd TR4 engine, head combination...
From: Malaboge <Malaboge@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 1997 23:25:46 EST

<<
 Anyway, it's got the low port head which I believe is from an early 3, and
 when I pulled the head, I found 83 mm sleeves.   One obvious solution would
 be that some kid had it and overhauled the engine with whatever parts he
 could find.  There's no indication that the head was ported or anything.

 So the question is, is there any good reason why someone in the 60s or 70s
 would have retrofitted a TR4 engine other than parts availability?  I guess
 the
 other question is... is a low number TR4 worth saving if it's really rusty,
 dented
 and otherwise stripped?  I'm slap out of storage space and am thinking of
 adding it to our local TR club's parts bin.

 Thanks...
 Don Marshall

 Don-
It is recollection...(oh oh trouble already, relying on the bio-glippy drive),
but the TR4 could be special ordered with the 83 mm bore size. It would be
interseting to note what intake that low port had on it as most of them were 2
bolt setups for the 1.5" carbs, with only a few with the 4 bolt 1.75" carbs.
My guess is that you hit the nail on the head with the "whatever parts were
available" statement as to how, when, etc.

Often found with an odd head myself...
           Nick in Nor Cal