fot

Re: Odd TR4 engine, head combination...

To: DLM Assoc <DLMAssoc@AOL.COM>, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Odd TR4 engine, head combination...
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 08:00:17
At 05:34 PM 12/7/97 EST, DLM Assoc wrote:
>Anyway, it's got the low port head which I believe is from an early 3, and
>when I pulled the head, I found 83 mm sleeves.   One obvious solution would
>be that some kid had it and overhauled the engine with whatever parts he
>could find.  There's no indication that the head was ported or anything.
>
>So the question is, is there any good reason why someone in the 60s or 70s
>would have retrofitted a TR4 engine other than parts availability?

Is there any indication that it was raced or anything?  I suppose that
someone might have been trying to stay under 2 liters, but I suspect
that your guess is probably right.

>I guess the other question is... is a low number TR4 worth saving if
>it's really rusty, dented and otherwise stripped?

If the short bubble hood is still good, that might be worth saving
as those are a bit rare.  That's about all that was unique to those
cars that I'm aware of.

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu