fot

Re: Maybe You Heard This One...

To: Malaboge <Malaboge@AOL.COM>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Maybe You Heard This One...
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 08:19:30
At 11:04 PM 12/10/97 EST, Malaboge wrote:
>we used to take our axles, strip them down
>(no hubs, bearings etc), and put them in a carboard box full of dry ice. The
>axle needed to be completely covered, top and bottom, we then covered the box
>and let the dry ice evaporate, which usually took a day or more. This then
>gave much fewer unwanted DNF's due to the ole axle breakage.

For what its worth, there's now a big industry developing for the
cyrogenic treatment of various sorts of metal parts.  They are
mostly using controlled cooling with liquid nitrogen, followed
by controlled (slow) re-warming which sounds rather similar to
your treatment.  I'd always assumed that this was another instance
of "snake oil" but maybe there's some truth to it.  if anyone's
interested in more, check out:

http://www.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Companies/Manufacturing/Metal_Work
ing/Cryogenic_Tempering/

That's the Yahoo section on cryogeninc tempering as the process is
now known.

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu