fot

Spit wheel bearings and endfloat

To: Amici Triumphi <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spit wheel bearings and endfloat
From: Susan Hensley <susan@grotecon.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 16:12:59 -0600
Hi all!

This is aimed at the Spit/GT6 folks out there (and anyone else who may
know).

I am trying to find out what the best wheel bearings are for race
applications, and who to get them from.  A Triumph friend here says to
go to one of the bearing companies here and show them mine, and ask for
race applications of the same thing.  Is this okay, or should I order
them from a specific company?  I will autocross and road race the car
this year, so it will have tight cornering, stopping and starting, as
well as higher speed applications.

Also -- what is the best way to determine endfloat?  My three brands of
manuals all give different ways to adjust the wheel bearings with the
hub nut, and they all say, "with endfloat of..." but not how to measure
it.  Do I just use a feeler gauge between the nut and hub?

Thanks in advance!

Keep Triumphing,
Susan Hensley   :)
1967 DP/FP Spitfire