fot

Re: Spit wheel bearings and endfloat

To: fot@autox.team.net, susan@grotecon.com
Subject: Re: Spit wheel bearings and endfloat
From: cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:23:00 -0800
I suspect that you will not find a wide variety of bearings available
for that application, and that the stock items will do just fine.
Something I highly recommend, though, is to toss the felt seal and use
Nylos bearing seals - Dave Bean Engineering can sell you the sizes you
need, since the Elan has the same spindle setup as your Spit.  These
are a two part sheet metal seal that does a really good job of keeping
the grease where it belongs, and doesn't collapse and separate like the
steel/felt OEM item.

They also allow you to set the final end play properly, rather than
guessing at how much the felt will collapse. You can't really use a
feeler gauge to set end play - the best way is with a dial gauge and
magnetic base.  Mount the base on the disk, and the contact of the dial
gauge on the spindle, and you can measure the end float directly.