fot

Re: TR6 Police Car

To: ArthurK101 <ArthurK101@AOL.COM>
Subject: Re: TR6 Police Car
From: Jack W Drews <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:59:23 -0500
ArthurK101 wrote:

> In a message dated 98-04-08 00:53:40 EDT, rgb@exact.com writes:
>
> > Did Triumph make TR3/4/5/6 police cars?  Spit/GT6?
> >

> Roger, know for sure they used GT6's for police cars in the UK.  (Triumph
> World or British Car, within the last two years, did an article on a GT6 used
> for that purpose.)
>
> I don't know about the other models, but would guess "not likely" since they
> are convertibles.  Cheers.
>
> Art Kelly

This is a really interesting thread, and I don't know anything about
TR's being used as police cars, but using convertibles or roadsters as
police cars, although seemingly implausible, is not unheard of.

We lived in the Netherlands during the 1970's, and the Rijkspolicie,
that is the state police, used white Porsche roadsters for police cars
in patrolling the autobahns. In inclement weather, the policemen wore
long black slickers to keep kind of dry. I asked one of the fellows I
worked with why they used this combination, and his explanation (right
or wrong) was that the government did not want the policemen to be too
comfortable, for fear that they would be reluctant to get out of their
cars to help people in need. Another side issue -- my friend claimed
that the Porsches carried onboard a tarpaulin to be used to immediately
cover up the cop car in case it was in an accident, so the populace
would not ridicule the police.....is this a far cry from practices in
the U.S. or what?

Gee, I wonder ...if police anywhere used Triumphs as police cars, do
suppose they were forced to carry drip pans...?
--
uncle jack the carfrek
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer