fot

Re: O/D Mainshaft

To: pmcmull@ibm.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: O/D Mainshaft
From: Malaboge <Malaboge@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 23:16:41 EDT

<<
 I saw your post for Dan's request of a O.D. mainshaft.  I have two!  One
 for an "A-type" and one for a "J-type".  Both are new old stock.  I have
 been told that there are more than one "A-type" designs, which I assume
 Dan that you are running in a TR-4?  There are no part numbers on these
 shafts.  I know the differences between the A and J types but not the
 differences between all the A types.  Dan if you think either will work
 for you, both are for sale.  Joe, we may need your help along with the
 combined knoledge of the list to help identify the A type.

 Let me know if I can be of assistance!

 Pat in NC >>

Amici-

Here I go, workin without a net...

There have to be at least 3 shafts that I can think of. The size of the
first/third motion shafts (input shaft to mainshaft, 1/3) bearing at the front
end differs. The oldest will be the one with the groove cut around it in a
spiral pattern. This is for the 1/3 BUSHING style tranny. If that is what you
are running, update. The bushing wears quickly under racing stresses and the
thing will pop out of 4th gear. The second type is almost the same size (you
didn't think they were gonna make it exact didja?), and is set up for the
needle style bearing. Since both of these types are for the "crash" first gear
tranny, they are a little shorter than the later style shaft. In addition, the
later a type shaft will have the biggest diameter of them all at the 1/3
interface. I don't have any sittin here in front of me, but would guess the
sizes of said bearing surfaces to be about 5/8" on the earliest, 21/32" on the
second and about 7/8" on the later style.(All sizes subject to faulty
memory...)
So, armed with the overall length, bearing surface diameter, a phone and a
willing seller, you should get the correct unit.

Broken Gears-n-Tears...
      Nick in Nor Cal