fot

Re: Pressing Questions...

To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@dimebank.com>
Subject: Re: Pressing Questions...
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 10:21:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 6 May 1998, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

>       Will we see you at Thunderhill this weekend?
>
> Unlikely. We're in the group of flaggers who think it's too damned far away.
>
> I couldn't imagine why it would have to be hardened. Cast iron
> is really resilient, and mostly you're making good surface contact.

The part is def. cast iron. I agree that cast iron is resilient. It was
suggested to me be the machinist friend that helped me take my hubs apart
recently that there had to be some hardness treating on the tool. I'm not
a metalurgist by any means, so I would tend to have to agree with him,
given no other data.

However, if you guys know casting, then I'd agree with you. I also agree
that steel thread inserts would be a good idea.

I wonder if my friend was referring to the hardness of the threaded
shaft. That thing can take some really serious forces... we were using a
4 pound hammer and full swings to get the hub apart (an 8 pound hammer
might have been a better choice, IMHO).

> I would think that you might want to use a steel insert for the
> threads, so it could be replaced when it gets damaged. But maybe
> that's not necessary... someday, I should look at one of
> these things. Is the center pusher just a hefty bolt?

Yes, one big bolt. I would imagine grade 8 or better. It's fine thread, I
think it's around 3/4" at the threads, the head is bigger - I imagine you
might have been able to get a 1 inch or 1-1/8 inch socket on it long ago...

The end of the bolt that contacts the stub axle end is rounded into a
little half ball... I presume this is done to get even contact to the
axle without "mushrooming" things there.

Oh, and the head of the bolt has a hole in it to allow you to put a rod
of some sort into it to use as a handle (as opposed to the pipe wrench
that we used in our case.) In fact the picture in the Bentley TR6 manual
shows the tool being used with two steel pipes - one on the body of the
"tool" and one through the bolt head at the end of the threaded thingie...

> I'll ask my friend if he feels like making a mold for a casting;
> he's pretty busy these days. Is it cast as one piece?

Yes, the casting appears to be one piece - it is then machined for the
threads and for the hole that I mentioned above...

It would be way kool to have this tool handy. Count me in on any attempt
to make one.

rml
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |