fot

Re: Road America Report

To: jsnook@wcnet.org
Subject: Re: Road America Report
From: BillDentin <BillDentin@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 11:05:15 EDT
Dear Jeff:

GOOD REPORT on SVRA's ROAD AMERICA at ELKHART LAKE EVENT.

Sort of!  You missed come critical details.  You failed to mention the fuzzy
faced Triumph Type vintage racer who chose to mix beer, hard stuff, wine and
then a series of Jaeger Meisters at Seibken's on Friday night to a point where
he missed his sessions in the Saturday Enduro (...in your car..no less) and
chose to nap instead.  Feeling better?  Don't deny it...wait till you see the
pictures that Mike Jackson and I have of you passed out on the chaise lounge
on Saturday afternoon.

You're a better man than I, for sure, cause you bounced back and had GREAT lap
times in the FF till you chose to do Canada sans brakes.  Mike probably won't
tell you, but he said, "There must be a secret to those FFs, I can't get
anywhere near Jeff's lap times!"  IT WAS A GREAT WEEK END.  I counted nine
TRIUMPH racers, and as you said...a whole raft of street TRIUMPHs.  The street
TRIUMPHs had such a good time, they are planning to make it an annual affair.

TRIUMPH need not hang its head after this event.  THE BADGER 200 was recreated
after more than twenty years.  200 miles is a long race for vintage cars.
It's a Ball Buster (Susan...i.e., gonads).  The twenty-two car grid was culled
by nearly two-thirds by the end.  We were running, but not moving (ring and
pinion, I think) on the last lap.  We were FIRST in CLASS and EIGHTH overall
at the end.  We were penalized two laps for leaving the HOT PITS early in one
of our three refueling stops, and still ended up FIRST in CLASS and NINTH
overall.  I started (last) twenty-second.  Standing start (cherry bomb).  I
went straight up the middle, and was fifth by turn one, seventh by turn three
and back to twenty-second by the end of lap two.  The field was made up of
Corvettes, Camaros, Mustangs, and sprinkling of Alfas, MGs, Loti, and two or
three Triumphs.  You all would have enjoyed our pit stops.  Don Brick was Crew
Chief.  Shirley Jean was fire man (we checked and she had the longest hose).
Wismer and I were drivers.  We should sell the movie rights to our pit stops.
I drove three legs, and Bob Wismer drove one.  As the French Team said in Le
Grand Prix du Rock..."Sure we can't win, but the others might lose"!  The
trophy is gorgeous.

Bill Dentinger

PS

Jeff ...you are a LITTLE PARTY looking for a place to happen.