fot

RE: Oil pressure switch, was "New header install..."

To: DLM Assoc <DLMAssoc@AOL.COM>, cak@dimebank.com
Subject: RE: Oil pressure switch, was "New header install..."
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 15:58:46 -0700
The usual way is to provide a momentary (separate pushbutton or
momentary position on a three-position toggle switch) switch that
bypasses the cutout and fills the bowl. I had a nice military surplus
toggle. I took out my oil pressure cutout system because I decided it
was more trouble than it was worth. My thinking is--if I'm not seeing
the low oil pressure (entirely possible given my tendency towards "red
mist"--excessive focus on the butt of the car in front that you want
desperately to pass)when the engine cuts off I won't know what the heck
is wrong. And if it's spurious I'll never figure out what to do in time
to get back racing. If it's for real, the damage is probably already
done anyway--even at race speeds a full float bowl is a lot of
revolutions with no oil.

Maybe I'm wrong. I've been considering a cutout and one of those
emergency lube systems.