fot

Re: K & S Alignment/Sharing Information

To: Alexander Joseph H <AlexanderJosephH@Waterloo.deere.com>,
Subject: Re: K & S Alignment/Sharing Information
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 1998 16:48:56
Hi Joe, and all,

At 08:39 AM 6/3/98 -0500, Alexander Joseph H wrote:
>Disappointing...no responses...

Well, for what its worth, I didn't respond since I figured that my
autocross alignment settings wouldn't help most of you road racer
type folks.  However, if anyone's interested, I'll tell you what
I'm running.

>Sean sectioned the upper control arms after doing some math for the camber.
>Worked very well. Heard of folks doing the heat and bend routine, but I am
>afraid of this.

What I did was to cut off the upper/inner ends and weld in some threaded
hex stock.  Then added a heim joint which can be screwed in or out to
get the desired camber.  Chip Bond and Bob Lang know all about this trick.

>This is his measurement of our front suspension settings:
>
>Camber   Left = 1.52 degrees      Right = 1.34 degrees    Fixed
>Caster   Left = 2.34 degrees      Right = 3.45 degrees    Fixed
>Toe Out  Left =   .01"            Right =   .03"      .040    Total
>
>These measurements were taken with "driver" in place.

OK, I'm running about 1.75 degrees camber on one side and about 1.9
degrees on the other, zero degrees of castor and about 3/8" total
toe out.  Obviously, these settings are quite unstable (especially
at high speed), and are designed to facilitate quick, transient
maneuvers - which is what autocross is all about.

YMMV,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu