fot

Re: Axle materials

To: RMBOWNES@intermedia.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Axle materials
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 23:30:16 EDT

<<
 In a message dated 98-06-06 22:07:15 EDT, RMBOWNES@intermedia.com writes:

 >Since I'm on the subject of building things, I've been thinking about
 >the rear end of the GT6 Production car I want to build. As I plan on
 >replacing the rear suspension with something a bit more, uh, predictable
 >and remove the Rotoflex couplers, it's going to require the fabrication
 >of some rear axles. The basic design will be very formula fordesque,
 >with a CV joint at both ends of a splined shaft.
 >
 >Question is, what should I have the machine shop use as shaft material?
 >
 >Thanks!
 >Bob

 Since I'm on the subject of building things, I've been thinking about
 the rear end of the GT6 Production car I want to build. As I plan on
 replacing the rear suspension with something a bit more, uh, predictable
 and remove the Rotoflex couplers, it's going to require the fabrication
 of some rear axles. The basic design will be very formula fordesque,
 with a CV joint at both ends of a splined shaft.

 Question is, what should I have the machine shop use as shaft material?

 Thanks!
 Bob

Bob-

Funny thing you should mention this...

I'm in the midst of trying to see how 240 hubs and outer "stub" axles will fit
into the GT. Once this is accomplished I figured that I would shorten some
existing dual cv'ed half shaft. I thought that I would cut. chamfer, butt weld
and sleeve the joint. Is this a half baked idea...most of mine are. Opinions?
Does any body know of any place that still does "inertia welding"? I have seen
this done in the olden dark days, and the results were most impressive.
Something like that would be perfect for an application like this. I wouldn't
think going for the 240 sliding axle is worth the bother as sliding joints
have some "eccentricities" of their own. As long as you gotta build it from
scratch, you might as well go "top drawer" (Just what does top drawer mean
anyway...)

Keep us all posted on your findings.

What will we all do now that Ginger has left the Spice Girls...
             Nick in Nor Cal

ps Is anybody still trying to put an EP car together now that Sports Car has
run the recipe for putting a killer EP 240z together for $18 and a free
afternoon...