fot

Re: Hoss Power

To: Richard Taylor <n196x@mindspring.com>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hoss Power
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 07:48:47
Hi Richard,
     This is an interesting challenge, and I'll be curious
to see what everyone else says.  Anyway, here are my guesses
(and they are, of course, strictly guesses):

At 09:38 PM 7/27/98 -0400, you wrote:
>After about a two hour run-in, we ran a series of tests using 110
>octane race fuel.  First with the 1.75" Stromburg carburetors, then with
>the SU's.  Then with the timing @ 30 degrees then @ 33 degrees.  We  then
>ran a test with the entire exhaust system (mit big pickle type muffler) on
>and another test with a two foot straight pipe out of the collector pipe at
>the end of the headers.  The second test was not only very interesting but
>excruciatingly loud.
>
>Ok, now here's the test.
>1.  What was the peak horse power and at what rpm?

I'll guess about 130 at 5300 rpm

>2.  Which was the better spark advance?

I'll try 30 degrees with that combination.

>3.  What was the effect of the 2" carbs?

More top end power.

>4.  Other than loud, what is the difference in the full exhaust system and
>the short pipe?

I would guess that a 2 foot pipe would be too short for the rpm
range that you're looking at and therefore would actually decrease
power output, especially at the low end and mid range rpms.

later,

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu