fot

Re: Hoss Power

To: n196x@mindspring.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hoss Power
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 20:48:53 EDT
<much snipping>...

 Come on now, group.  Opinions are like...what is it?  Maybe it was belly
 buttons. Everybody's got one.  We're always guessing about how much
 horsepower this or that change makes on an engine.  If you provide me with
 your best guesses, I'll be glad to share my numbers with you all.  Hell,
 I'll do it anyway but let's have a little fun with it first.

 Ok? Let me hear from you

 Richard Taylor,  Atlanta

Nick here...always ready with a BELLY BUTTON...wait is that right ?

Ok, an OPINION at least...

 1.  Mill the head .0090 in.
 2.  Install the 89mm piston/sleeve set.
 3.  Install a 282 degree cam
 4.  Install a set of HD 8 SU carburetors
 5.  Install new bronze guides and three angle ground valves.
 6.  Lighten flywheel about 8 lbs.
 7.  Balance crank, rods, pistons, clutch and flywheel.

Your list certainly seems modest, but I'm sure you really meant 87mm pistons
and liners, not those nasty illegal things that only "other guys" run <g>.

 Ok, now here's the test.
 1.  What was the peak horse power and at what rpm?
 2.  Which was the better spark advance?
 3.  What was the effect of the 2" carbs?
 4.  Other than loud, what is the difference in the full exhaust system and
 the short pipe?

Ok now for the fun (funny) part...
1. I fired up the Cray, feed in all the parameters and the Chuck-a-luck, I
mean Cray, said 121 hp at 4850
2. 33 probably made more power with that compression, but you're gonna wanna
run 30 on the track.
3. Horrible. My guess is that you lost 6-10 horsepower up to an rpm figure
that you're not comfortable with, at which time it started to pick up, but the
noises made you jumpy and frightened all the horses in the neighborhood.
4. Who cares. Open pipes will be worth at least 50hp on the Walter Mitty
scale. You'll find that you're going much faster everywhere on the course,
your shifts will "snick" into place, competitors will pull out of your way,
and chicks will dig you..

I can't stand the suspense...did I win? Was this a contest, was there a prize
?

Oh I see...nevermind...

The always opinionated, rarely correct
       Nick in Nor Cal