fot

What Was I Thinking...

To: fot@autox.team.net, TVR@autox.team.net
Subject: What Was I Thinking...
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 12:46:02 EDT
Fellow Hindsighters-

Those of you looking for meaningful discourse...please hit the delete button
now...more blather from the Nickster ahead.

Its been more than a little warm here lately. Yesterday my thermometer which
has numbers up to 110, went out of sight. I pulled a trusty radiator
thermometer out of the shop and noted 117 on the dial. Back into the air
conditioning. After several forays into the "it can't rally be that bad out
there", I opted to give up and stay in the house. (No, the Garage of Mystery
does not have ac in it. It is built partially underground and has always been
cool, but it showed a tepid 98 inside which just wasn't conducive to "gettin
things done") Which brings me to the "hindsight" remark. A friend of mine gave
me a couple of Road & Track mags from 1971, and I finally got around to
reading them. My first observation was that they certainly had better race
coverage and technical articles in 1971 than they do now. But what really hurt
were the ads in the back. Now, I realize that there are some guys here on the
list that probably weren't born in 1971, but there were some of us holdin down
jobs and spendin all our money on frivolous things like race cars, when in
reality what we should have been doing is buying these cars and parking them.
Who needs a lottery when you could buy:

A 57 Dual Ghia for $4200 from a guy named Hoagy Carmichael
A concours winning Ginetta G-4 for $2900
An Omega (you TVR types may know this as an Intermechanica, or Torino       or
even a Griffith 600) for $4500
A Maserati Tipo A6G/2000 for $3000
An AC Ace for $1000
An AC ACECA for $2400
An AC Bristol for 3000
An Abarth double bubble for $1275
An Arnolt Bristol for $2900
A 289 AC Cobra for $3500
XK-120's for $600->$1500   many of 'em
'67 XKE for $3600
A Morgan +4 for $1250
A Lotus Elan for $2550
A Porsche Carrera Speedster for $4995
A choice of Shelby GT-350's at $2500
and my personal fav..Ferrari 275 GTB's for $6000 ->$8000

If we all hadn't of been worried about the minor things in life, like food and
shelter, we coulda bought some of these beauties and been retired from the
proceeds by now. Doh!

Guess I'll go buy another lottery ticket...
          Nick in Nor Cal