fot

Re: Thermostat housing

To: "Chip Bond" <spirals@ESINET.NET>
Subject: Re: Thermostat housing
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 19:04:17 -0600
I continue to chase this. I found an aluminum housing assembly with cap
on top sold in Summit and Jegs catalogs (and also available at my local
speed shop) that looks like it can be modified fairly easily to fit the
TR3/4 cylinder head. The bolt spacing is a little wider (sm. block
Chevy) so the bolt holes will either have to be filled and re-drilled
or just opened up in the right direction. This would then be a direct
replacement for the current thermostat housing assembly. All I have to
do is keep the radiator downhill from the cap and match up some hoses.

I think I am going to try this route, but another interesting option
popped up. Looking through the various catalogs, I ran across a diagram
of the early TR2 thermostat housing (through TS1200E) which has a top
cover built in. This looks like it could be the easiest way and still
have that original look to it. Simply modify the plate with a filler
neck. Does anyone have one of these lying around?

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6's, TR250's, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net

> Chip,
> I'm considering putting a Nascar style radiator in the TR3. The
> simplest approach would involve a new radiator cap placement.  I
> understand that you had your thermostat housing modified to take a
cap.
> From:         Bob Kramer[SMTP:rgk@flash.net]

>Bob,
> You will need a good welding shop to pull it off. TIG is necessary.
The cap
> I'm running is 13#, double seal with recovery. If you have the shop
cut a
> groove on the bottom of the housing were it mates with the head, you
can
> install a thermostat at that point. Check your clearance to the hood
first.
> It will be tight. The aluminum filler neck can be had from Summit or
Jegs.