fot

Re: TR3 rear axels

To: EISANDIEGO@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: TR3 rear axels
From: Jeff Snook <jsnook@wcnet.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 10:05:18 -0400
Hi Carey,

The axle/hub scenario can be described as "confusing" at this
point.  Some folks are using a remanufactured hub (manufactured
by me) attached to a remanufactured axle (one lot of 20 procured
by Chip Bond).  Due to some apparent material compatibility
problems I have gone back to using original axles and hubs this
season.  Chip has been doing some testing of new axles with new
hubs (that have been hardened in the taper area,) and "TR3 Hot
Shoe" Mike Jackson will be testing this same design on his car at
an event over Labor Day.

Using original parts requires frequent crack checking of the axle
and hubs, and after Grattan last weekend, we discovered I had one
hub ready to fail.  That was just a visual inspection and right
now the rest of the parts are getting magna flux inspected.
Grattan has some really hard right turns and it is the left hub
that sees all the loading, that is failing.  It appears that the
harder we keep driving these cars, the bigger problem we are
having with this hub/axle area.

Your problem of "bent" axles is a new one to me.  Maybe someone
out there on the list can help you.  I don't think there are any
of the Chip Bond axles available and I know there are none of my
hubs left anymore.  It appears we are going to have to scrounge
all the junk yards in the country to keep finding good, old
parts, at least until we all get confident of the new heb, new
axle combo.

Good luck,

Jeff