fot

Re: Overdrive testing?

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive testing?
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl6n@server1.mail.virginia.edu>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 07:52:54 -0500
At 04:24 PM 10/26/98 -0700, Mark J Bradakis wrote:

>Hmm, I got a callthis afternoon from a felow who has an overdrive gearbox
>out of the car.  He wondered if he could hook up a motor of some sort to the
>input shaft of the gearbox, spin the thing at a decent RPM, and see if
>moving the lever got the OD to engage and disengage.  Never having done it
>before, I had no real advice to give him.  Have any of you folks tried
>something like this?

I haven't done it, but several years ago Scotland Yard in Denver built
a nice machine for that purpose.  They built a jig to hold the transmission
steady (I think that they picked up the bellhousing bolts at the front
and the rear tranny mount), and had a motor of some sort to drive it.  I'm
afraid that I don't remember any of the drive details, though.  In fact,
the tranny that is now in my TR-3 was the "test bed" for the test bed and
I seem to recall getting a bit of a discount on the rebuild for letting
them use it to set everything up.  So, yes, it can be done.

John Lye
rjl6n@Virginia.edu