fot

Overdrive testing?

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Overdrive testing?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:24:02 -0700 (MST)
Hmm, I got a callthis afternoon from a felow who has an overdrive gearbox
out of the car.  He wondered if he could hook up a motor of some sort to the
input shaft of the gearbox, spin the thing at a decent RPM, and see if
moving the lever got the OD to engage and disengage.  Never having done it
before, I had no real advice to give him.  Have any of you folks tried
something like this?

The caller sounds quite a bit more familiar with cars than the fellow I
talked to the other day from one of the other shops down by mine.  I'm
not sure, since his english was not that good, but I got the impression he
drove his '82 Toyota around with no oil in it for a while.  He was wondering
if he took out the plugs, sprayed some WD-40 down the holes and put his
ratchet on the crank pulley, would his motor be able to turn again.  He he.

mjb.