fot

Re: Your Spitfire!!!!

To: jantoms@vbe.com, brian_s@deq.state.la.us
Subject: Re: Your Spitfire!!!!
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 22:19:01 EST
In a message dated 98-11-18 21:51:09 EST, jantoms@vbe.com writes:

>  I am getting mentally prepared to launch my V8 spit project & so far my
>  differential thoughts have been the ford 9" ..... the alternate being a
> mopar 8
>  3/4".  The mopar is not as strong, but should handle anything I throw at it
&
>  lot cheaper to build.
>    If you want to keep the IRS (I do) either differential will take the mod
>  Jag axles.  I think Mercedes axels would also work just as well.

Tom,

Are you familiar with Concours West Industries?  They produce a "Jag" rear
end, using a modified Ford 9 inch differential. Basically, the cut the Ford
axle housing off just outboard of the differential carrier, and splice it to
the Jag suspension - Or a faxsimile there-of. More or less, they build their
own set-up. These are built to handle WAY over 350 HP. They are intended for
the street rod crowd, so they are available in a wide variety of
configurations, and they will build to your specs. They are, however, a bit
pricey.

>    BTW, I am hoping for about 350 hp from a ford 289 (I just like those
> engines &
>  I've built them before ..... I know the 302 would be a better choice; it's
>  nostalgia) & a T-5 tranny in a tube frame with a spit tub pinned on.
>    I figgure this will be about a 3 year project.  That gives me about a 3
yr
>  life expectance after the start of the project.  Anything beyond the first
> lap
>  at RA will be borrowed time.

Go for a 302 and put on 289 valve covers. Who'll know the difference? That's
about what I'm doing with the 302 in my TR6. I managed to scrounge up an
ancient set of aluminum ribbed valve covers with "POWERED BY FORD" on them.
I'm using dual quad carbs instead of FI for the same reason - nostalgia!  My
302 is only rated at 320 HP, though, so your Spit will blow me away. You might
want to get a set of aluminum heads for that engine - they knock off 50
pounds, and right where you need it.

>   Comments from those more knowledgeable???????????? (sane????????) Flame
> away,
>  I'm open to any ideas, suggestions or financial contributions..........
>    In the corner with my nomex on.........

I'm certainly not more knowledgable, but I do have one comment - keep us
posted on your progress!  I for one would be very much interested in your
project.  GRIFFONIZE IT!!!!!  It's the right thing to do.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://www.sky.net/~boballen/mg/Masters/index.html
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74