fot

Re: Good grief, another orphan?

To: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@cs.utah.edu>, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Good grief, another orphan?
From: bob bownes <rbownes@neworks.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:47:46 -0500
>We show up at the family gathering spot, and there in the drive is a black
>Izusu Impulse RS, 91 or 92.  To refresh your memories of this car that never
>did quite make it, it is, to be blunt, a Geo Storm on steriods.  An effort
>that came out of some General Motors world car effort that got waylaid by a
>band of enthusiasts.  A small coupe, 4 cylinder Izusu motor, much like the
>one that powered the recent shoe-horn style Lotus Elan.  All wheel drive, ABS,
>intercooled turbo, 50 series rubber standard, and those way cool little badges
>on the side that say, in shades of green and yellow, "Handling by Lotus."

Ah, one of the cars of my dreams...

This critter actually shares more than the engine with the Lotus Esprit. It
shares the whole durn drivetrain, front & rear suspension, and floorpan.

But the most excellent variant is the all wheel drive version...They made
about three or four thousand of them as I recall.

Had a chance to buy one a few years back. Would have too if it hadn't been
for the fact that the previous owner smoked and left it closed up with a
full ashtray in the hot summer sun for several months. Yuk.

Just the toy for these parts...Ah well, Guess I'll have to buy an Audi.

Bob, drove to work in 3" of snow this morning, Bownes