fot

Re: HARMONIC BALANCER

To: <BillDentin@AOL.COM>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HARMONIC BALANCER
From: "Greg Solow" <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 22:15:13 -0800
We have never run a damper on the TR-4 engines that we have built.  Using
rev limits of 7200 rpm with a properly prepared bottom end we have no
problems and do not believe that there is any benefit to be dirived from
using a vibration damper, or harmonic balancer on that engine..
The TR-6  is another story.  A very close friend of mine worked for Kastner
during the time he was running the TR-6 on the west coast.  He has recounted
many stories of the flywheels comming off of the engines  and of their lack
of rliability when run at over 6,000 rpm  when producing power levels over
200 hp. The team went to great lenghts massaging the cranks to get tham to
stay together.  One of the things that helped a lot was a damper.  Regards,
Greg Solow