fot

Re: HARMONIC BALANCER

To: "Greg Solow" <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>, <BillDentin@AOL.COM>,
Subject: Re: HARMONIC BALANCER
From: "Roger Beasley" <beeline@iline.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:47:02 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_01BE4522.FEFF4760

Amici,
Although we normally discuss TR's, I am reminded of my son Brian's
experience with his Pontiac Fiero SCCA ITB racecar.  He had a local machine
shop assemble the bottom end of his engine, a 4cyl "iron duke" that GM uses
in a variety of cars.  They left the bolts finger tight on the front crank
pulley which is weighted, but not exactly a harmonic dampner in the true
sense.  When Brian assembled the rest of the engine, he used locktight and
torqued the flywheel to the crank per the specs in the manual.  I then
assisted him in installing the engine in the car.  It started on the first
crank and all seemed well through about 30 minutes of "run-in" in the
garage.

At the racetrack, the car made 1 1/2 laps of the warmup before the front
pulley came off and other expensive noises ensued.  Upon disassembly, we
found the flywheel had sheared all 6 bolts and irreparably damaged the
transaxle.  Even though the machine shop admitted to their mistake of
leaving the pulley loose, they denied any responsibility for the flywheel.
They attributed that damage to our assembly technique (or lack thereof).
Since we have attached flywheels to cranks a number of times before, we
believe the whole episode was a result of the pulley problem.

Any thoughts?

Roger Beasley
'62 TR4 Vintage Racecar
----------
> From: Greg Solow <Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com>
> To: BillDentin@AOL.COM; fot@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: HARMONIC BALANCER
> Date: Thursday, January 21, 1999 1:15 AM
>
> We have never run a damper on the TR-4 engines that we have built.  Using
> rev limits of 7200 rpm with a properly prepared bottom end we have no
> problems and do not believe that there is any benefit to be dirived from
> using a vibration damper, or harmonic balancer on that engine..
> The TR-6  is another story.  A very close friend of mine worked for
Kastner
> during the time he was running the TR-6 on the west coast.  He has
recounted
> many stories of the flywheels comming off of the engines  and of their
lack
> of rliability when run at over 6,000 rpm  when producing power levels
over
> 200 hp. The team went to great lenghts massaging the cranks to get tham
> stay together.  One of the things that helped a lot was a damper.
Regards,
> Greg Solow

color=3D"#000000" face=3D"Arial">Amici,<br>Although we normally discuss =
TR's, I am reminded of my son Brian's experience with his Pontiac Fiero =
SCCA ITB racecar. &nbsp;He had a local machine shop assemble the bottom =
end of his engine, a 4cyl &quot;iron duke&quot; that GM uses in a =
variety of cars. &nbsp;They left the bolts finger tight on the front =
crank pulley which is weighted, but not exactly a harmonic dampner in =
the true sense. &nbsp;When Brian assembled the rest of the engine, he =
used locktight and torqued the flywheel to the crank per the specs in =
the manual. &nbsp;I then assisted him in installing the engine in the =
car. &nbsp;It started on the first crank and all seemed well through =
about 30 minutes of &quot;run-in&quot; in the garage.<br><br>At the =
racetrack, the car made 1 1/2 laps of the warmup before the front pulley =
came off and other expensive noises ensued. &nbsp;Upon disassembly, we =
found the flywheel had sheared all 6 bolts and irreparably damaged the =
transaxle. &nbsp;Even though the machine shop admitted to their mistake =
of leaving the pulley loose, they denied any responsibility for the =
flywheel. &nbsp;They attributed that damage to our assembly technique =
(or lack thereof). &nbsp;Since we have attached flywheels to cranks a =
number of times before, we believe the whole episode was a result of the =
Vintage Racecar<br>----------<br>&gt; From: Greg Solow &lt;<font =
color=3D"#0000FF"><u>Gregmogdoc@surfnetusa.com</u><font =
color=3D"#000000">&gt;<br>&gt; To: <font =
color=3D"#000000"><br>&gt; Subject: Re: HARMONIC BALANCER<br>&gt; Date: =
Thursday, January 21, 1999 1:15 AM<br>&gt; <br>&gt; We have never run a =
damper on the TR-4 engines that we have built. &nbsp;Using<br>&gt; rev =
limits of 7200 rpm with a properly prepared bottom end we have =
no<br>&gt; problems and do not believe that there is any benefit to be =
dirived from<br>&gt; using a vibration damper, or harmonic balancer on =
that engine..<br>&gt; The TR-6 &nbsp;is another story. &nbsp;A very =
close friend of mine worked for Kastner<br>&gt; during the time he was =
running the TR-6 on the west coast. &nbsp;He has recounted<br>&gt; many =
stories of the flywheels comming off of the engines &nbsp;and of their =
lack<br>&gt; of rliability when run at over 6,000 rpm &nbsp;when =
producing power levels over<br>&gt; 200 hp. The team went to great =
lenghts massaging the cranks to get tham to<br>&gt; stay together. =
&nbsp;One of the things that helped a lot was a damper. =
&nbsp;Regards,<br>&gt; Greg Solow<br>&gt; -----Original =
Message-----<br>&gt; From: <font =
color=3D"#000000">&gt;<br>&gt; To: '<font =
color=3D"#000000">&gt;<br>&gt; Date: Wednesday, January 20, 1999 7:09 =
&gt;Amici:<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt;What is the consensus on TR engines =
and the HARMONIC BALANCER?<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt;We have always run a =
Harmonic Balancer. &nbsp;Lately they have been cracking.<br>&gt; =
Two<br>&gt; &gt;have cracked in the same spot (at the keyway). &nbsp;We =
suspect we may be using<br>&gt; the<br>&gt; &gt;wrong torque =
spec.<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt;Others are using a variation of the MGB =
narrow V Belt pulley set up, which<br>&gt; is<br>&gt; &gt;not harmonic, =
but has a rubber damper.<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt;We suspect this is a =
near critical consideration on the sixes, and very<br>&gt; =
&gt;desireable component on the fours.<br>&gt; &gt;<br>&gt; &gt;Any =
------=_NextPart_000_01BE4522.FEFF4760--